BEAMA has called for the government to do more to back manufacturers to deliver net zero.
The group representing manufacturers of networks, smart energy, heating and ventilation and electrical installation products launched its Net Zero by Industry campaign at its annual conference this week. The campaign sets out in a range of publications the expertise and needs of a sector worth £13 billion that is critical to achieving the net zero transition in the most cost effective way, BEAMA said.
The group said:
In a challenging policy and economic landscape, businesses need more clarity and better investment conditions to harness the huge potential from the low carbon electrification products on the market today. Our industry is making the progress it can towards net zero, but there are some ceilings only Government can smash. We need to make a market that leads to grid upgrades, a transition to low carbon heat and transport, and works in the interests of consumers.
BEAMA set out a series of nine recommendations for the government to adopt, noting that reaching Net Zero is only cost effective with energy efficiency and that confidence must be given back to the investment and manufacturing communities. It added that most of the electrification technologies that are need are already on the market – just need to be leveraged.
It said its key message was that “businesses will make Net Zero happen, but some ceilings can only be smashed by government”.
BEAMA said it wants the government to:
- Publish its promised consultation on reviewing the price of electricity
- Embrace the full range of electric heat technologies in criteria-based policy to harness the potential for demand side response and give householders choice
- Develop policies that reflect how technology, fabric and controls work together
- Review key underpinning methodologies including SAP and EPCs
- Take practical action to rectify skills shortages
- Accelerate and complete the smart meter rollout
- Introduce a Green Taxonomy for the UK
- Give clarity on circular economy requirements
- Create location-specific infrastructure plans and improve forecasting for network upgrades
CEO Yselkla Farmer said:
At BEAMA, our members manufacture the building blocks of our electricity system, for the Grid and built environment. We are profound supporters for a scientific net zero, both in ensuring just, timely and affordable application to the market and in supporting our members to reduce their own emissions. It is only through effective collaboration that we can deliver this. Our aim is to forge strong industry and collaborative workstreams that will unpin a UK strategy for investment in net zero.